Saturday, May 28, 2016

Sunday Soup #9: Maryland Cream of Crab Soup

This recipe came from: http://www.crabplace.com/charleses-cream-of-crab.asp (by way of http://nowyoucanpinit.blogspot.com/2013/12/award-winning-maryland-cream-of-crab.html?m=1) 

*Pic 1 - Picture from http://nowyoucanpinit.blogspot.com/2013/12/award-winning-maryland-cream-of-crab.html?m=1

My Variations from Recipe as Written: The recipe called for "Maryland jumbo lump crab meat," but I settled for the only non-frozen real crab meat I could find at my local grocery store; if I had thought ahead I could have picked some up in Monterey or San Fran. I used Italian parsley. I used 4 tsp of seafood seasoning I got at the farmer's market a couple years ago, instead of the Old Bay it called for. And, it called for using cornstarch to thicken it up, but didn't specify an amount; I added 6 tbsp cornstarch with 6 tbsp water, and the soup turned out the consistency of a good New England clam chowder.

General Thoughts: This soup was SO easy to make! This was the easiest soup of the year so far, but it still delivered on the taste. It was thick (thanks to the amount of cornstarch I added), creamy, and savory. I garnished with some sprinkled smoked paprika, Triscuit crackers, and a fresh sourdough baguette. I also might have liked to add a bit of cooking sherry to see what kind of a lift that would have supplied. The chunks of crab were very tasty and a rewarding bonus in each bite. If you are a crab fan, this soup is for you... BUT, real crab is expensive, and so this soup, overall, was not cheap to make. I think this one needs to be a "special occasion" soup, for that reason, rather than a casual family dinner.


*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

Polling the Fam: Definitely gets the thumbs up from me, and it was easily the equal of many cream of crab soups I've had in various restaurants. I am the only person in my immediate family that would try this soup (their loss!), so I called my best buddy over to try it and take some home. Jayson may chime in down below in the comments, but it looked like he enjoyed it!

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment