Saturday, May 28, 2016

Sunday Soup #3: Thai Ramen Noodle Chicken Soup

This recipe came from: http://soupaddict.com/2016/01/thai-ramen-noodle-chicken-soup/

*Pic 1 - Picture from original source website


My Variations from Recipe as Written: I doubled the recipe. Instead of a kaffir lime leaf (because I couldn't find one), I sliced up three big leaves of fresh basil. I used twice as much noodles as it called for. When it called for "tamari, soy, or fish sauce," I used fish sauce. I did not add the bok choy.

General Thoughts: I knew going into this one that only Hunter and I would be eating it, since Becky is not a huge fan of Asian food, and won't touch anything with mushrooms in it. So, I was free to get a little wild with the flavors, and this soup delivered! It was tangy and full of wonderful Asian yumminess. The amount of noodles it called for was ridiculously small, so very glad I added more than the recipe called for. This soup turned out to be more what I would call "Thai Chicken Noodle Soup" than a true ramen, as the veggies were plentiful and made it feel like a domestic chicken soup than a bowl of traditional Japanese-style ramen noodles. But, packed with flavor! In my bowl after I dished up, I added some soy sauce and some sambal chili mash (because that's how I roll), and it was great! I do think this is a "one night" soup (i.e., not nearly as good left over as when it is fresh), because of the noodles, so I'd just make enough to finish in a single sitting.

*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it


Polling the Fam: As I mentioned, just two of us ate this one, but it got two solid thumbs up. Hunter mentioned again 30 minutes after dinner was over how much he enjoyed it, so it's a winner.

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment