Saturday, May 28, 2016

Sunday Soup #2: (Slow Cooker) Creamy Green Chile Enchilada Soup

This recipe came from: http://www.scatteredthoughtsofacraftymom.com/2012/12/favorite-slow-cooker-recipes-creamy.html

*Pic 1 - Picture from the original source website


My Variations from Recipe as Written: I doubled the recipe. I used diced jalapenos instead of milder green chiles (we are spice addicts in this house!). I cut out the corn, because we aren't huge fans of corn in our soup and corn is not really a veggie, so we did it without guilt. I added an extra 1/4 cup of rice (bringing the total to one cup - two when doubled) to replace the bulk lost by leaving out the corn.

General Thoughts: The soup was flavorful, but more so for the chicken broth and spices (cumin, especially) than the green chiles. That is not to say that the green chiles could not be tasted, but they certainly were not super strong (which would have been a bit more to my liking). The amount of chicken seemed perfect for the recipe, and when garnished with sour cream and shredded cheese, it had a super creamy yet very savory flavor. Hunter mentioned that the soup was spicy to him (probably due to using the jalapenos instead of the milder chiles), but I kicked it up another notch with some habanero sauce in my bowl, and it was perfect!

*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it


Polling the Fam: Two for two on the soups for me, as I really enjoyed this one too. I am not always a fan of "Mexican" soups because I feel like it is tough to get them right; they often seem to be too much of "something" for me. But, this one was solid. Hunter also thought it was good, and said he liked it better than the Buffalo Chicken Soup from last week ("spicier, more filling, and will likely taste better left over"). Becky has not tried it yet (since she just woke up for work), but she took some to work and can speak up in the comments.

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment