Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Sunday Soup #106: Andouille-Shrimp Cream Soup

This past Sunday, I got the itch to make a seafood soup... I had a bag of shrimp in the freezer that was just begging to be put into a soup! I have made a soup similar to this one before (Cajun Shrimp Stew: https://soupersleuth.blogspot.com/2019/08/sunday-soup-86-cajun-shrimp-stew.html), but this one was intriguing because it promised "creamy," so I figured I'd give it a shot. How did it measure up? Let's see...

This recipe came from: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/andouille-shrimp-cream-soup/

Variations from the Recipe as Written: I actually made a few modifications to this one, for various reasons... My market was all out of Andouille sausage! I know, terrible luck when I had already committed to making this one... So, I used a smoked kielbasa instead (and 14oz instead of 8oz). I used pre-cooked (tail-off) shrimp because, as I mentioned, it was what I had in the freezer. And, to give it a little more of a flavor punch (to compensate for the lack of Andouille), I added half of a serrano chile (diced) and about a tablespoon of Cajun seasoning (Tony Chachere's).

General Thoughts: Be prepared (hehe) because there is a fair amount of prep work with this one. There is a lot of slicing and chopping, as the sausage, onion, celery, green pepper, red pepper, jalapeño pepper, and tomatoes all need to be chopped, and (if you aren't using pre-cleaned shrimp) the shrimp need to be shelled and de-veined. If your knife skills are good (mine are only fair), it shouldn't take you very long, but if chopping bothers you, find yourself a prep chef to help out (*he says, missing soup-friend Lisa during this COVID quarantine).



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

The soup was creamy and chunky, each bite brimming with a nice variety of textures (sautéed veggies, corn, sausage, and shrimp!). The corn was an especially pleasant surprise for me... I usually prefer my corn in only one-of-two forms: on the cob or in my cornbread. But, the corn in this soup was a terrific addition to both taste and texture, leaving me wanting more.

As for the taste, it was delicious! The soup was creamy and spicy, with a rich, savory flavor imparted by the shrimp and smoked sausage. As I mentioned above, I kicked it up another notch with a little Tony Chachere's and half a serrano chile, and it was perfect! One word of warning, however... Thyme, while common in Cajun cuisine, can taste like... dirt... to some people, and it is certainly a pronounced flavor in this dish. So, if thyme is not your jam, you may want to dial that spice back just a bit.

And, btw, it was delicious leftover, too!

Potential Improvements? When I make this one again, I think I'd do everything the same, except I would do my best to use real Andouille sausage (still 14oz, of course!).

Polling the Fam: I thought this one was great and will definitely make it again! Hunter, however, thought it was only okay because he was overpowered by the thyme ("It tasted like dirt."). Finally, Fox didn't care for it, saying he thought it needed more meat (but, quite frankly, I am not sure more would have fit).

Verdict: Loved it! (5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment