Sunday, August 25, 2019

Sunday Soup #86: Cajun Shrimp Stew

Last Sunday I prepared a shrimp boil (https://soupersleuth.blogspot.com/2019/08/sunday-soup-85-slow-cooker-shrimp-boil.html), but it just whetted my appetite for another shrimp soup. So, this week I scoured the Internet (for AT LEAST 15 minutes) and found this cajun shrimp stew recipe that sounded yummy! But, would it be as tasty as last week's boil? Let's see...

This recipe came from: https://www.johnsonville.com/recipe/cajun-shrimp-stew.html


Variations from Recipe as Written: I have to admit to quite a few departures from this recipe as-written (for a variety of reasons)... First, I used 16 oz of andouille sausage (rather than just 13.5 oz) due to available package sizes. Second, I used diced tomatoes with jalapeños because it is what I had on-hand. Third, I used Gourmet Garden Italian Herbs because the market did not have the GG Oregano variety. Finally, and most significantly, I added four cups (32 oz) of chicken broth, which was not a part of the original recipe; more on that below.

General Thoughts: This recipe was fairly inexpensive, untiiiiiiil I bought the shrimp, but even then it wasn't terrible. A nicer surprise was how easy this one was to prep... A little slicing and sauté on the sausage, a quick dice on the onion, and it was all ready to go into the pot... EASY-PEASY!!

While completing the first part of the recipe, it didn't seem like it included nearly enough liquid to allow it to come to a boil (i.e., "Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes"). I even had Becky read the recipe to make sure I hadn't missed adding water or broth or something else that would have contributed enough liquid to actually make this a soup or stew (rather than - at best - a slurry). Strangely, the recipe did not include any such liquid ingredient(s), and the meager liquid from the tomatoes and vinegar was just not going to be enough. So, I made the executive decision to add chicken broth to the pot, and I am very glad I did... The addition of 32 oz of chicken broth was the perfect amount to create a brothy (yet, still hearty) soup.



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

Given the simplicity of the ingredients, I was a little worried that the soup would be bland, but my fears proved unfounded. It tasted really good! It was salty and savory, as the andouille sausage and tomatoes with jalapeños gave it a nice kick, and the seasonings (i.e., bay, garlic, cumin, etc.) seemed well balanced. The broth, when tasted by itself, almost had the taste of a yummy bouillabaisse, having picked up some rich seafood flavor from the shrimp.

In the recipe's current format, you may have noticed that it does not include any starch or carb-y bulk (e.g., beans, potatoes, rice, etc.). As such, this one was low-carb, which is great if you are on a diet, and it was still plenty hearty, even without a starchy ingredient. Despite that, we all tried a bowl with some white rice, and Hunter and I thought it was even more delicious!

Potential Improvements? When I prepare this one again, I will definitely make all the same changes (see "Variations" above), including adding the chicken broth. I will likely blend/puree the diced tomatoes. And, I will definitely prepare some white rice on the side, to give people the option to add rice to their bowl if they'd like.

Polling the Fam: Another really solid soup this week... I have been on a roll! I would, of course, recommend this one (make sure you check out my changes!) and will make it again. Hunter thought it was tasty, but said it could have been spiced a little more heavily. He also added that he would have enjoyed it more if the soup was a bit thicker (so, maybe, half the added broth?), more like a stew rather than a soup. Fox thought it was good but said he liked it better without the rice.

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment