Thursday, July 22, 2021

Sunday Soups #126, #127, and #128: Louisiana Red Beans and Rice, Beer Cheese Potato Soup with Sausage, & African Peanut Soup

Yes, you are seeing that right... Three soups! I don't usually post multiple soups in the same post (have I ever?), but I think it is appropriate today, even though the three soups are very different from one another, as a means of getting the info out there to you. I have not been posting a lot lately (a hangover of my general social media malaise), but I have still been making soups, so I wanted to share them with you, even if it was quick and dirty. Enjoy!

SUNDAY SOUP #126: LOUISIANA RED BEANS AND RICE

Depending on who you talk to, Red Beans and Rice may not strictly be considered a soup, but I prefer brothier versions that are very soup-like, so this one was right up my alley. Let's see if this one delivered on the great Louisiana flavor that good red beans and rice is known for...

This recipe came from: https://diethood.com/red-beans-and-rice/


Variations from Recipe as Written: I doubled the recipe, used smoked paprika, and left out the cayenne pepper (although it was only 1/8 tsp) because one of my guests had a low spice threshold.



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

General Thoughts/Potential Improvements: This one was very hearty, tasty, and had a nice variety of textures. I made some mixed rice to go with it (as opposed to basic white), which also made for some interesting flavor and textural variations. But, it was also quite tasty without the rice. I found myself really missing the spice, and it was right on the edge of not salty enough, despite the andouille sausage. But, adding some Tabasco to my bowl was helpful, and some Tony Chachere's or Slap Ya Mama seasoning would have made it even better.

Polling the Fam: I liked this one and would definitely make it again. Becky thought it was only okay and was not a fan of the mixed rice, saying she would have preferred plain white. Hunter, in contrast, enjoyed it and really liked the mixed rice, but agreed it needed more spice and salt. Jayson liked it and said more salt would have made it perfect. And, Lisa added a bit too much hot sauce but liked it and thought mixing it with some actual dirty rice would have been even tastier (I think I agree!).

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)



SUNDAY SOUP #127: BEER CHEESE POTATO SOUP WITH SAUSAGE

I have been on the hunt for a beer cheese soup that is actually good... So many of them have been disappointing, failing to deliver on taste or consistency. How did this one do?

This recipe came from: https://midwestfoodieblog.com/sausage-and-potato-beer-cheese-soup/


Variations from Recipe as Written: I used regular spicy Italian sausage rather than turkey sausage.



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

General Thoughts/Potential Improvements: I really liked this one, and I think (even though I gave it only 4 instead of 5 stars) this is the best beer cheese soup I've found so far (here are some previous examples: https://soupersleuth.blogspot.com/search?q=beer+cheese)! I enjoyed the textures, as the veggies (onion, celery, and carrots) were still a little firm. Unlike some other recipes of this type, there was actually a good beer flavor that I enjoyed, and it was very well-spiced (benefiting from the hot Italian sausage, as well as the depth of flavor provided by the oregano and thyme). The one thing I wish it had more of was cheese! It calls for 8oz, but it could have benefited from 50% more (so, 12oz overall).

Polling the Fam: Again, I liked this one. Becky thought it was only okay, as she did not like the firm veggies. Hunter gave it full marks and thought it was really good, admitting he was curious about how it would have tasted with the turkey sausage. Jayson was on the fence and did not go back for seconds, primarily because he thought it needed to be cheesier. And, Lisa liked it a lot, agreed that it could have been cheesier/creamier, suggesting that some sour cream would have helped, and opined that it should have been cooked a little longer (to soften up the potatoes and other vegetables).

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)



SUNDAY SOUP #128: AFRICAN PEANUT SOUP

I made this one after I was inspired by watching a cool food program on Netflix called "High on the Hog" (highly recommend), which explored the roots of traditional African and African American foods and their effects on cuisine in the US. While this recipe was given a very generic name, I encourage you to do some additional research on the complexities of African soup culture, if you have an interest. This one is similar to a soup I've made before (https://soupersleuth.blogspot.com/2017/08/sunday-soup-36-west-african-peanut.html), which was based on a tasty recipe from a friend, but I think this one was a little better.

This recipe came from: https://themodernproper.com/african-peanut-soup


Variations from Recipe as Written: None.



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

General Thoughts/Potential Improvements: This one was SUPER hearty, and I was immediately struck by how thick it came out. It is extremely stew-like, rather than brothy, and it was wonderful to scoop up with a good piece of olive bread or naan. It was filled with amazing textures, and the taste was rich and creamy. The sweet potatoes (not yams!) and chickpeas were particularly yummy, having soaked up the general flavors and spices from the rest of the mix. For me, personally, I would want to kick the spice level way up the next time I make it. To that end, using three or four jalapeƱos or, even better, a scotch bonnet pepper or two (which, I think, would be a bit more reflective of this dish's West African roots), would be great!

Polling the Fam: I enjoyed this one but, sadly, I forgot to record my guests' reactions. However, they all generally responded well to it. Jayson, in particular, really liked it and asked to keep some of the leftovers, so it was definitely a winner.

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment