Saturday, April 3, 2021

Sunday Soup #125: Carne Asada Soup

If you are a regular reader here, you know that it's rare I make a similar type of soup twice in a row. And, when I do make similar soups, they are often months (if not years) apart; I love variety! However, I had such high hopes for the Slow Cooker Carne Asada Posole (Sunday Soup #124; https://soupersleuth.blogspot.com/2021/03/sunday-soup-124-slow-cooker-carne-asada.html), which turned out so "meh," so I was motivated to see if one of the other carne asada soup recipes I found a couple weeks ago could be better. Wooo, buddy, am I glad I gave it another go! If you thought the Carne Asada Pozole sounded good but were nonplussed when I only gave it 3 stars, read on for something far superior...

This recipe came from: https://glutensugardairyfree.com/recipe-items/carne-asada-soup/



Variations from the Recipe as Written: The recipe's author provides a recipe for marinating your own carne asada (flank or skirt) steak. However, she admits to using a pre-marinated carne asada from her local market, and I followed suit, using my family's favorite pre-marinated carne asada from Costco. As such, due to package size, I ended up using about 2 1/3 pounds of meat (instead of the 1 1/2 to 2 pounds called for in the recipe). The other slight variation was that we chose to grill the carne asada before we chopped it, rather than sautéeing it in the pot. I say "we" because my frequent collaborator Lisa grilled and chopped the meat before I arrived, so she gets all the credit there! Other than that, I chose potatoes over squash because the author gave both options, but that's it.

General Thoughts: A very interesting aspect of this recipe is that it came from a site called "Gluten Sugar Dairy Free Lifestyle," which claims to be "The Home of GLUTEN SUGAR And DAIRY Free Recipes, Menus and Products". I am sometimes leery of recipes that go out of their way to omit certain categories of food (aka, The Good Stuff!). But, I try to keep my mind open to healthier fare because, let's face it, who among us couldn't stand to eat a little healthier? And, if it tastes good, all the better! Examining the recipe, it does appear to be gluten-free, with no added sugar or dairy, so if those types of things are a challenge for you, this is right up your alley. I set out some Mexican crema and cheese as garnishes on my table, which made it no longer dairy-free, but go as you like.

The prep was really quite easy! Outside of grilling and chopping the carne asada (which is fairly quick, but even faster when your friend does it - thanks, Lisa!), it only took me 15 minutes to have everything in the pot ready to simmer.




*Pics 2, 3, & 4 - Pictures from when I made it

Right off the bat, it was obvious the decisions to use more meat and grill it first were definitely the right choices. You could even go with a little more meat, if you wanted, but I thought 2 1/3 pounds was just the right amount for me. This soup was hearty and filling, easily able to stand on its own as a main course. The consistency and flavor of the grilled meat were both spot-on, which is more than any of us could say for the previous carne asada soup (in which the enchilada taste overpowered everything and the meat was way too soft and stew-like). Beyond the meat itself, the flavor of this recipe was superb, overall, richly spiced but not overly spicey. The broth was rich and savory, layered with flavors of cumin, fire roasted tomatoes, and smokey (but mild) ancho chiles. The mouthfeel was also a treat, as each bite contained many different textures (e.g., tender meat, creamy potatoes, perfectly cooked corn, and - when garnished - crunchy tortilla strips).

Finally, a quick note about garnishes... With many Mexican soups, garnishes can really help a recipe reach the next level. This recipe's author suggested lime, avocado, and cilantro, which were all great suggestions, but I also set out tortilla chips/strips, Mexican crema, and shredded Mexican cheese. Other great choices would have been queso fresco, radishes, raw onion, shredded white cabbage, and any type of chopped or sliced raw chile pepper. The one thing I would NOT add to this soup is a vinegar-based hot sauce (like Tabasco). The lime added the right amount of acid and a flavor that complimented the soup, whereas I believe something like Tabasco could easily overpower the other complex flavors I so enjoyed in this one.

Potential Improvements? Honestly, I couldn't think of anything I'd do differently when I make this one again. Becky said she thought it could have used more corn so... maybe that?

Polling the Fam: I am sometimes a little gun-shy about soups that bill themselves as a "taco soup" or a "tortilla soup" because a lot of them taste the same to me, but not so with this one: THIS IS MY FAVORITE HOMEMADE TORTILLA SOUP I'VE EVER EATEN. Becky said it was really good and she liked it (see random "more corn" comment above). Hunter said it was great and that he had no complaints, making special mention of the perfectly cooked potatoes and tasty broth. Jayson really liked it and really enjoyed it with the garnishes. And, Lisa loved it, citing the depth of flavor, which she remembered was sorely lacking in the Carne Asada Posole from a couple weeks ago.

Verdict: Loved it! (5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment