Thursday, August 17, 2017

Sunday Soup #36: West African Peanut Chicken Stew

Yes, yes, I know it is Thursday, but I really made this soup this past Sunday. I did! My friend Lisa can vouch for me... Don't tell anyone, but I have a secret other life where I work a full-time job and spend time with my family. In the future, I'll try not to let that interfere with my soup posts, I promise! Now, on to this week's soup...

I normally find and make yummy-looking soup recipes from all over the Web, but sometimes I am privileged to be able to highlight a recipe received directly from my friends and readers (under the condition that I can be honest about it, of course)... That is the case this week! I am happy to have received this recipe from my friend Jennifer Favour, who said it is a favorite in her family. It sounded delicious, but did it deliver...?

This recipe came from: My friend, Jennifer. Because this is a homemade family favorite, rather than an Internet find, here's the full recipe for your enjoyment:

RECIPE:
3 tbsp butter
2 onions (minced)
1 tbsp garlic (minced)
1 red pepper (diced)
1/2 green pepper (diced)
6 cups chicken stock
1-15oz can tomato puree
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 cup rice
1 lb cooked chicken (diced)
1/2 cup peanut butter
Salt to taste

Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat. Increase heat and add the onions, sautéing until transparent. Add the garlic and sauté another two minutes. Add the red and green pepper and sauté another five minutes. Add the chicken stock, tomato puree, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil and add the rice, stirring often. When the rice is cooked, add the peanut butter and mix. Add the diced chicken and salt to taste. Serve.

My Variations from Recipe as Written: I doubled the recipe, but followed it quite closely, so that I was sure I did it justice.

General Thoughts: I was drawn to this recipe from the start because it sounded exotic and promised some flavors I haven't used in this project before. As an added bonus, it was super easy to make, counting on a simple list of quality ingredients and a minimum of prep (down with tedious chopping!).

How a soup smells is often a good harbinger of how it will taste, and this soup smelled terrific as soon as I began sautéing the onion and garlic. Then, once the liquid was added, it took on a deep, rich red/orange color. Off to a great start!!



*Pics 1 & 2 - Pictures from when I made it

This soup was all about the flavor, and the peanut butter was king; it made the soup rich, creamy, and delightfully unique. I thought the amount of peanut butter was pretty right on (although I definitely could have tolerated more); however, Jayson thought it needed more peanut taste, whereas Hunter thought it needed less, so it is clearly subjective.

Like the peanut butter, the level of spice was also the subject of comments. Jennifer told me that, in her family, her husband enjoys the recipe at "full strength" (2 tsp of black pepper and 1 tsp of crushed red pepper), but she more often likes it with half the spice. As I was preparing the soup, right off the bat, Lisa said, "Wow, that is WAY too much black pepper!" (*But she ultimately agreed it was probably the right amount.) And, the full dose of spice was just a touch too much for Jayson to truly enjoy. But then, Hunter said it could have stood to be spicier.

The lesson: Poll your audience before deciding to increase or cut back back on the PB & P(epper)!

Polling the Fam: Overall, I really liked this one and would love to try it with a few squirts of Sriracha. I also think I might swap out the rice for some quartered new potatoes next time. And, there will DEFINITELY be a next time! Hunter commented that it would be a perfect soup for when he is sick, and he described the sourdough bread I served with it as "vital."  Fox (whose palate is really opening up) said he liked it, and the peanut butter was a "nice surprise." Jayson thought it was good, if just a bit too spicy, and said he thought the peanut taste was not as strong the peanut smell. Lisa said it was really, really good and easy to make. She added that it left her mouth tingling, and the bread was great to cut the spice. And, finally, Andrew described it as "pretty good with a good spice level."

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars) Thanks, Jennifer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment