Friday, March 13, 2020

Sunday Soup #102: Ham and Bean Soup

My friend and frequent soup collaborator, Lisa, sent me this recipe a few weeks ago, thinking that it looked yummy, and asked me to make it. I was only too happy to oblige, as I am always in for trying soups that use smoked meats! So, let's see how this one turned out...

This recipe came from: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/white_bean_and_ham_soup/

Variations from the Recipe as Written: Because of package sizes, I ended up using about 5 pounds of smoked ham shank (including bone weight) rather than the 2-3 pounds called for in the recipe. Other than that, I stuck to the recipe, as written.

General Thoughts: The prep on this one was not bad... Power soaking the beans and simmering the shanks for broth took a couple hours, but it wasn't really labor-intensive. It then required a bit of chopping on the onion, celery, and carrots, as well as taking time to remove the ham from the bone, but those steps, too, weren't too intensive.

The recipe, as written, made a fairly large batch. It fed six adults, most of whom went back for seconds, with at least a bowl or two's worth of soup leftover. The extra ham proved to be the perfect amount and definitely added to the soup's bulk.



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

The soup's flavor was very good. Despite not calling for any cream or butter, the soup turned out surprisingly creamy and somehow tasted "smooth." That is not to say that it wasn't chunky, as each bite was chock-full of beans, veggies, and (most importantly) perfectly tender smoked ham. The smoked ham shank brought with it a wonderful smokey, salty flavor that suffused the whole soup. The Herbes de Provence were subtle and, together with a healthy dose of cracked black pepper and the salt from the ham (I did not add any extra), the soup was perfectly spiced. In short, this turned out to be one of the best all-round recipes I've made in this project to-date.

Potential Improvements? I don't think I would change anything about this recipe (other than, again, using a bit more smoked ham than it strictly calls for).

Polling the Fam: I really liked this one and will make it again. Becky thought it was very solid, but maybe a little too salty. Jayson gave it a "100% thumbs up" and reinforced that it did not need any more salt. Lisa said this soup was one of her favorites I've ever made and wouldn't change a thing. Andrew said it was "super awesome delicious." And, Fox said it was just okay because he doesn't really like beans in general.

Verdict: Loved it! (5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment