Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Sunday Soup #101: Slow Cooker Andouille Sausage and Cabbage Soup

Coming off of our Soup Swap, I thought a small break was in order... That, and the fact I was busy with work trips, kids' trips, and head trips, led me to not make a soup for a few weeks. But, I am back with a strong one this week... What started out as a "that looks pretty easy to make" pick turned into a soup that I think I'll be making for some time to come... Check it out!

This recipe came from: https://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/crock-pot-andouille-sausage-cabbage-soup/

Variations from the Recipe as Written: I doubled the recipe. I added some sea salt and black pepper to the pot, even though it was not called for by the recipe. And, I did not actually use a slow cooker... When I doubled the recipe, it proved to be too voluminous for my Crock Pot, so I used my large soup pot and cooked it low-and-slow on the stovetop for about six hours.

General Thoughts: This soup did not take a great deal of time or effort to prep. I sliced up a head of green cabbage, chopped a few carrots and shallots, and sliced the andouille sausage, and I was practically done. The ingredients were simple, inexpensive, and a whiz to get in the pot! And, once I started the soup slowly simmering, it required very little attention thereafter.



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

I have to admit, partway through cooking this one, I was skeptical... It seemed way too plain. I mean, heck, it really only has four substantial ingredients and none of them is a starch. Then, it didn't even smell very "interesting" to me when it was cooking. But, closer to mealtime, when I added some salt and black pepper to the pot, not only did the aromas start to entice me but my small taste tests promised the end product would be quite tasty...

... and it was! The soup was spiced well, the thyme, caraway, and fennel complimenting the subtle spiciness of the andouille quite nicely. The apple cider vinegar provided a nice bite, and I found myself wanting a little more of it. But, when I garnished my bowl with a sprinkle of dill and another cap-full of vinegar, the flavor was spot on. With that said, the real delight of this one for me was the textures; the veggies and the sausage were perfectly done and provided nice contrasts in each bite. The cabbage wound up being a fair substitute for noodles.

One last aspect of this soup bears mentioning... It is actually good for you! This soup could fit into a paleo or ketogenic (keto) diet plan because it does not contain any starchy or sugary ingredients. And, a two-cup serving of this soup is only 132 calories (and 4g of carbs)!

Potential Improvements? This one was very tasty, but it could definitely benefit from 50-100% more sausage. Other than that, I don't think I'd do anything differently.

Polling the Fam: In case it wasn't clear, I really liked this one and will make it again. Becky thought it was really good but that it could use more sausage. Fox liked it and said it was much better than he ever expected from a cabbage soup. Jayson liked it, but his spice threshold is low, so he thought the andouille sausage made it a little too spicy for him. Lisa thought the soup tasted really good but agreed that it needed more sausage. Finally, Andrew really liked it.

Verdict: Loved it! (5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment