Monday, October 21, 2019

Sunday Soup #87: Crab and Shrimp Seafood Bisque

Whew! I can finally see the surface of the water from here... I have been manically juggling work and kid activities for weeks now, but things are starting to ease up a bit, so I have time to post this soup I made weeks ago... Enjoy!

This recipe came from: https://www.thespruceeats.com/crab-and-shrimp-seafood-bisque-3060729

Variations from Recipe as Written: I did not deviate from this recipe, although I chose to just use crab and shrimp since I could not find any other seafood mix at the market I deemed acceptable.

General Thoughts: Seafood soups, particularly those that call for crab, can be fairly pricey depending on what ingredients you choose to use. You can find crab in many different forms... You can usually get fresh crab from the seafood counter at your local supermarket. Fresh crab is often separated by the type of meat (body meat vs. claw meat vs. leg meat), with each carrying a different price tag (lump meat from the body being the most expensive, fetching north of $20/lb at my local market). However, for many recipes, such as soups, canned crab meat (which is what I chose in this case) from a reputable brand (such as Phillips, Bumble Bee, or Chicken of the Sea) can be a suitable alternative to fresh crab.

Once I had all my ingredients gathered, this soup was fairly simple to throw together... There was a fair bit of stirring and just a little chopping, but that was as rough as it got. A piece of cake overall!



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

I was a bit worried, initially, that the soup would not thicken or provide that "bisque-y" mouthfeel. However, the flour, tomato paste, and heavy cream came together to give this soup the suitably thick, silky texture that is the hallmark of a good bowl of bisque.

I was also pleased that the seafood flavor was forward but not overpowering. A good seafood bisque should not smell/taste like I just walked into a fish market, but I do want to taste the shellfish (because God knows they are the most expensive ingredients in the dish). The shrimp and crab in this soup were a perfect texture and complimented the creaminess nicely.

Despite the right seafood mix, I was a little disappointed with the overall flavor of the dish right out of the pot... While the seafood flavor was there, the other ingredients (in the amounts called for in the recipe) did little to change the soup's overall bland profile. However, I was able to save my bowls by adding another tbsp or two of the dry sherry and a generous dusting of Old Bay seasoning to each.

Potential Improvements? The next time I make this one, I'd add 150% of the sherry called for, as well as additional cracked black pepper and a decent amount of Old Bay (to taste), to the pot before serving. I'd also ensure the Old Bay and sherry were out for my diners to use more if they liked.

Polling the Fam: It was just Fox and me for this one... I really liked it and would make it again for a seafood-loving crowd, but next time that bland flavor needs to be kicked up a notch! Fox (who is just getting into seafood) said he liked it and would eat it again, but probably never request it.

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment