Monday, August 7, 2017

Sunday Soup #35: Peruvian Cilantro Chicken Soup

Another few weeks off due to busy life (travel, kids, etc.), so I'm happy this week to get back to such a rewarding hobby: SOUP! This week I was looking for an easy, healthy, (potentially) yummy soup that was also a little exotic... The answer? Peruvian Cilantro Chicken!

This recipe came from: http://www.nutrientsyoufools.com/peruvian-cilantro-chicken-soup/


*Pic 1 - http://www.nutrientsyoufools.com/peruvian-cilantro-chicken-soup/

My Variations from Recipe as Written: I doubled the recipe, and I subbed an anaheim pepper for the plain green bell pepper. I used pre-crushed garlic rather than grating my own. And, I left out the salt (because, quite frankly, I forgot to add it).

General Thoughts: The prep for this one was actually pretty simple... The chopping was the most significant step, but it was over in a snap (particularly because I am a big cry baby, and my wife was kind enough to chop the onions for me). :-)  I am definitely a fan of soups that seem quite sophisticated, but are really very easy to prepare... But was it yummy?



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it


From the outset, this concoction smelled awesome! Particularly after I put in the cumin, oregano, and garlic, the whole house was filled with wonderful scents that promised deliciousness! It was also very visually appealing... In my experience, rarely does a soup measure up to the food "glamour photo," but this one came reasonably close once it was garnished.

It also came close to tasting as good as it looked, which was pretty darn good! It reminded me of a more-flavorful chicken tortilla soup. The chicken was hearty and flavorful, and the volume of potatoes was just perfect to give it extra substance. My favorite part was actually the chunked corn cobs, which were colorful and delicious in their unique presentation. Finally, despite the additions I'd recommend (see below), I was fairly satisfied with the simple green onions and lime wedges as garnishes.

It is worth mentioning, Becky and I have been eating it left over since yesterday, and we are enjoying the leftovers just as much!

Potential improvements? I definitely think it would have been a little better if I had salted the veggies, as instructed, but that was probably minor. And, some queso fresco would have gone well in this one. However, I think the biggest need was more spice (although, I do have a higher tolerance than most). The next time I make it, I think I'll substitute jalapenos for the anaheims, and serranos for the jalapenos, if you follow me... The point is, more cowbell! Also, a nice crusty french-sourdough roll or some homemade tortillas would have significantly contributed to our overall enjoyment of this soup.  

Polling the Fam: I think it was solid and lived up to its promise of a "fancy" but easy, and definitely yummy, soup; I would make it again. Becky thought it was good and said she'd eat it again. Hunter also liked it and called it "Pretty darn good!"

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment