Monday, July 20, 2020

Sunday Soup #110: Slow Cooker Steak and Potato Soup

I know I just posted Sunday Soup #109 yesterday, but that one was from last week. So, as yesterday was Sunday, and I made another soup, I figured I'd get this one posted in a much more timely fashion. :-)

I am not generally a huge fan of stews, but I got some stew meat from a friend who bought an FFA cow (that is Future Farmers of America, for those without kids in high school), so I was looking for something potentially yummy to do with it. The recipe I made this week was very straightforward, with simple ingredients and prep steps, which looked like it was designed to feature the meat. But, did it deliver? Let's see...

This recipe came from: https://www.plainchicken.com/slow-cooker-steak-and-potato-soup/


Variations from the Recipe as Written: I made 1.5x the recipe and used garlic salt instead of "regular" salt. That's it!

General Thoughts: As I said above, this one was easy to prep! The peeling took the longest, but that was small potatoes. I know, I know... Bad dad joke. Sorry (not sorry). :-) In all seriousness, the peeling went quickly, and the potatoes just needed to be cubed, which did not take very long. I minced the parsley in about a minute and used pre-diced onion from the market, so everything was ready to put in the slow cooker in a jiffy! And, since this was a slow cooker recipe, it really was fire-and-forget, with no need to watch the pot throughout the day. All in all, a piece of cake!



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

The taste of this soup was terrific and immediately put me in mind of Beef Bourguignon recipe I featured a couple of years ago (https://soupersleuth.blogspot.com/2018/01/sunday-soup-50-beef-bourguignon.html). While it did not have quite the depth of flavor of that more sophisticated Beef Bourguignon, likely owing to the far more simple ingredients and prep, this one managed to capture some of its rich, savory flavors with far less work (the use of "brown steak sauce" - like A1 - definitely contributes to the taste profile of the dish). The flavors seem like they would really hit the spot on a cold Fall or Winter evening!

The star of the soup was definitely the beef. After slow cooking for 8+ hours, it is natural to assume that any meat would be tender (which the protein in this recipe certainly was), but the beef was perfectly done and had taken on the savoriness of the broth, which made it a real treat.

All was not perfect with this one, however, as the lack of ingredients made the soup feel a little empty and robbed it of the heartiness for which many good beef soups and stews are known. I like my soups brothy, but this one was so brothy as to make it seem like I forgot to add the other ingredients. So, while each bite was a taste treat, it felt a little lacking, overall. Adding some additional ingredients to the base recipe (e.g., sliced carrots and mushrooms) without adding more both could really have made this one great. And, using a good French or sourdough bread as a side dish would also definitely have helped close the gap here, but we avoided bread this go-round for health reasons. :-)

Potential Improvements? Next time I make this - because there will be a next time - I'd like to add some carrots and mushrooms (without adding any more broth) to give it more heft.

Polling the Fam: I thought this one was really good and just kept from 5 stars by its lack of heartiness; I feel like this will be a great "canvas" to which I can add just a few more things to knock it out of the park next time! Becky thought it was very good and really liked the flavor of the broth. And, Hunter also thought it was very good, super solid, saying that he loved the broth but thought it could benefit from the addition of some carrots.

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment