Monday, January 13, 2020

Sunday Soup #98: Dill Pickle and Brat Soup

This week's soup was a little unorthodox because of its signature ingredient: dill pickles! Some of you may remember that I tried a Polish Dill Pickle Soup recipe a few years ago (https://soupersleuth.blogspot.com/2017/08/sunday-soup-7-polish-dill-pickle-soup.html) with pretty decent results... I gave that one 4-out-of-5 stars, but only after I added my own chicken (which the original recipe did not call for) and a shot of vinegar to each bowl. Since then, I have been on the hunt for another pickle-based soup recipe that I thought might knock it out of the park. Did this one deliver? Let's see...

This recipe came from: https://theviewfromgreatisland.com/dill-pickle-and-brat-soup-recipe/

Variations from the Recipe as Written: It's not really a departure from the recipe since, as written, it offered instructions for multiple cooking methods, but it is worth mentioning that I used the slow cooker method. I used dried dill instead of fresh because the market was out of fresh dill (I substituted in a ratio of 1 tsp dried per 1 tbsp fresh dill). And, I used 4 brats instead of 3 because I like my soups meaty (and I used Johnsonville Beer Brats, which I grilled on the BBQ before slicing for the soup).

Before I move on to talking more about the soup prep, its taste, etc., I want to give a shout out to the crostini my buddy Bill made to go with the soup (and serve as the main dish for those diners who couldn't stand the thought of eating a "pickle soup"). Look at that picture! Sourdough rounds, topped with havarti or mozzarella and a variety of other toppings (including minced garlic, roasted red peppers, bacon, or garlic sausage), all crisped to perfection in the air fryer/toaster oven; my mouth is watering just remembering it!


Pic 2 - Pic of Bill's crostini

General Thoughts: This soup took a medium amount of work to prep. Chopping the onion and pickles (and fresh dill, if you use it), grating the carrot, dicing the potatoes, and grilling then slicing the sausages all took a bit of time, but I am confident it would feel like much lighter work if you had a kitchen helper. :-) And, using the slow cooker method made the actual cooking a snap, as well as producing terrific results in both the texture and taste of the final product.




*Pics 3, 4, & 5 - Pictures from when I made it

This soup was pleasing to multiple senses... Flashes of green and red poked through the surface of the creamy broth, all speckled with dill, and it enticed the nose with a subtle, but distinctly fresh, aroma. The textures were also a delight as, similar to the last soup I made (https://soupersleuth.blogspot.com/2020/01/sunday-soup-97-carne-en-su-jugo.html), it had a little of everything: liquid broth, tender potatoes, chewy-crumbly sausage, and crisp veggies. But, how did it taste?

Um... D-LISH-USS!! It was delightfully creamy, hearty, brothy, and chunky, in all the right proportions. Make sure you get the salt and pepper right (I winged it with a bit of cracked pepper and about 3 tbsp of kosher salt, both added near the end of the cooking process), and your mouth is in for a flavorful treat. Even if pickles aren't usually your thing, I'd recommend you at least try this one. But, if you have a pre-established serious aversion to dill pickles, I'd steer clear, as there is no doubt this is a pickle soup.

One final word about your choice of pickle for this soup... Using a "clean" pickle, in my opinion, made a huge difference to the taste and texture of this dish. I used Grillo's Pickles (https://www.grillospickles.com/products), which are sold all over (e.g., Target, Costco, BJs, and probably your local grocery store), usually in the refrigerated section. Grillo's are packaged raw in a brine that is so clean and clear that I can take small sips of it straight. This is in stark contrast to the average jarred pickles found on the supermarket shelves, which can be colored an unreal shade of yellow-green and swimming in a brine that is overly salted and almost caustic. PLEASE don't do that to yourself or your family in this dish...

(*Update: This one was also spectacular as leftovers! Wouldn't you agree, Bill?)

Potential Improvements? I would not hesitate to make this one exactly the same way again!

Polling the Fam: Of our six diners, only three of us tried it... But, I loved it (duh!), Bill loved it, and Sheila really liked it. Not really anything else to say!

Verdict: Loved it! (5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment