Sunday, August 19, 2018

Sunday Soup #66: Slow Cooker Chicken and Green Chile Soup

Happy National Hot & Spicy Food Day! This week, in honor of this auspicious occasion, I figured I'd make a recipe that promised to put a touch of fire on the tongue... I found this one a few months ago, and today was the perfect excuse to give it a whirl!!

This recipe came from: http://www.eatyourselfskinny.com/slow-cooker-chicken-and-green-chile-soup/


*Pic 1 - http://www.eatyourselfskinny.com/slow-cooker-chicken-and-green-chile-soup/

Variations from Recipe as Written: Other than making a few garnishes/sides (like cotija cheese and tortillas) available that weren't strictly called for by the recipe, I didn't depart from the recipe at all.

General Thoughts: If you've been a reader of my soup posts for any length of time, you may know that I often avoid soups like this one because I feel like they all come out tasting the same. I feel like all the taco soups, chicken tortilla soups, etc. I've tried have all had a very similar taste profile, and it is not a taste I particularly enjoy. I chose this soup because I was hoping for some good spice, and I was crossing my fingers that it would bring something new to my bowl.



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

I'll get to the taste in a moment, but first the prep... Super duper easy! This one was even easier than the last soup I made (Sunday Soup #65), and even less expensive, so definitely a win-win there. There was basically just one step: put all the ingredients in the Crock Pot. LOL A very little bit of chopping (on the onions and celery) would be required, unless you are like me and buy the pre-chopped veggies. I am a big baby, and chopping onions make me cry, so I just bought the pre-chopped celery and onion mix at Safeway. :-)

The taste of this soup was just good... It was unlike most of the other Mexican soups I've ever had in that it had a terrific balance of vinegar and spice (due to the jar of green salsa) and was otherwise well-flavored (e.g., salt, oregano, cumin). Left to my own devices, particularly in honor of Hot & Spicy Food Day, I would have gone full-throttle on the heat. But, I used mild diced chiles instead of hot, and then chose a "hot" green salsa we normally enjoy (Mrs. Renfro's JalapeƱo Green Salsa) to give it more "kick." The result was a heat level that Hunter and I both found to be just mild-to-medium, but it was still spicy enough that non-fire eaters should find it deliciously piquant.

Potential Improvements? Hard to improve this one but, as I said, if I was making it again for an audience that liked things fiery, I'd use the hot diced green chiles in addition to the hot green salsa.

Polling the Fam: I liked this one very much and would eat this as a "tortilla soup" any day of the week! Becky had to take some to go, as she was headed to work, but texted me and said, "The soup was super good!" I asked her to be more descriptive, but she never texted back, so I am going to assume she was rendered speechless by the yumminess. Hunter had two bowls, said it was good, and felt the cotija cheese greatly contributed to the soup's taste. Even Fox had multiple bowls, saying it was good and that he enjoyed the "medium" spice level.

Verdict: Loved it! (5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment