Monday, August 6, 2018

Sunday Soup #65: Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas

This week, I was looking for something tasty and filling, but easy and inexpensive. I mean, who isn't, am I right? I stumbled across this recipe that looked like it might have some promise, and then I found that it had both an Instant Pot and a standard version, so that cinched it... Let's give it a try!

This recipe came from: https://inthekitchenwithkath.com/2018/01/01/instant-pot-smoked-sausage-and-black-eyed-peas/ (non-Instant Pot version: https://inthekitchenwithkath.com/2013/01/01/smoked-sausage-and-black-eyed-peas/)


*Pic 1 - https://inthekitchenwithkath.com/2018/01/01/instant-pot-smoked-sausage-and-black-eyed-peas/

Variations from Recipe as Written: I made 1.5x this recipe, and also added a few extra ounces of sausage than was strictly called for.

General Thoughts: True to how it seemed, this one was easy! The few ingredients were simple and inexpensive, the prep was uber minimal (particularly since I used pre-chopped onion), and the Instant Pot made cooking a breeze. It is rare to find a recipe that actually delivers on its "promise" to be both simple and inexpensive (especially if it is also yummy), so it is worth keeping track of the ones that do.



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

This soup was a perfect balance of bulk and broth. I was initially worried that it would be too thick, more the consistency of a split-pea soup. But, while the bulk was certainly there, there was enough broth to keep it interesting. If you prefer a thicker, creamier soup, you could definitely use an immersion blender to purée a portion of the mix once the black-eyed peas have been fully cooked.

The taste was really good, if just a tad one-dimensional. Black-eyed peas, if you are unfamiliar, are legumes that are very bean-like, and they tend to take on the flavor of what they are cooked with. In this case, the smoked kielbasa, garlic, thyme, and salt all imparted flavor to the mix, and the combined product was super solid, but it was difficult to isolate the taste of any particular ingredient in any given bite (with the possible exception of the fresh thyme). I poured a bit of vinegar from a jar of jalapeños into one of my bowls, which is something I often do when I eat pinto beans, and that was the perfect additive to help things "pop" a little more (for me, but your tastes may vary).

Overall, this one was just very solid... The taste was good, it was hearty and filling, and the ease of prep was a winner!

Potential Improvements? Not much to improve on here... I might try adding some chopped pickled jalapeños into the pot before cooking to add a little of that vinegar bite I got after the fact, and you could also add some chopped bacon for a little more flavor and meaty goodness.

Polling the Fam: This one could easily fall into the "Ol' Reliable" category for me: a strong go-to recipe when I want cheap, easy, and tasty! I would definitely make it again. Becky thought it was good, saying she liked it and would eat it again. Hunter found it solid, filling and good, taking particular note of the kielbasa, although he called it pretty standard. He said he'd eat it again. Finally, Fox said he thought it was okay, but that he couldn't think of a way to improve it.

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)


No comments:

Post a Comment