Monday, March 12, 2018

Sunday Soup #55: Dublin Coddle (Irish Bacon, Sausage, Potato, and Onion Stew)

A ligean dĂșinn a ithe! A week before St. Patrick's Day, I thought it might be nice to make try some Irish fare, starting with this yummy-looking Dublin Coddle. Coddle is an Irish dish (associated primarily with urban areas) that dates back to at least the late-18th Century and was known to be a favorite of author Jonathan Swift. Our friends Brian and Wendy invited us over for a little holiday gathering, and I'd had this one on my To-Do list for a while, so I decided to give it a go...

This recipe came from: https://www.rotinrice.com/dublin-coddle-irish-bacon-sausage-potato-and-onion-stew/


*Pic 1 - https://www.rotinrice.com/dublin-coddle-irish-bacon-sausage-potato-and-onion-stew/

Variations from Recipe as Written: I tried to find "Irish" sausages (although the recipe simply calls for "pork sausages"), but with no luck (not surprising). So, I used traditional English bangers, cut in half length-wise and then cut into thirds.

General Thoughts: This stew was very simple to make, requiring minimal prep work apart from some light slicing/chopping. Total prep time (not counting the final 35 minutes cooking in the oven) was less than half an hour. It was also surprisingly economical, considering the amount that was produced (the recipe made enough to comfortably feed six adults).




*Pics 2, 3, & 4 - Pictures from when I made it

The flavor turned out to be deep and rich, featuring the salty meats that are such a big part of it. The pepper, garlic, thyme, and parsley all managed to come through together as well, making every bite pop. The potatoes, onions, and leeks added bulk and really made this stew hearty and filling. Although I made this as a specific St. Patty's Day tie-in, I wouldn't hesitate to make it again on any cool Fall or Winter evening.

Wendy made an Irish soda bread (pictured above), and it deserves special mention. The bread went PERFECTLY with the coddle recipe.  Those spots you see in it are raisins, the sweetness of which was a terrific compliment to the more savory coddle. The bread acted like a sponge, allowing me to soak up every delicious drop of stew from my bowl. You can find the recipe she used here: http://www.baking-sense.com/2016/03/03/irish-soda-bread-raisins/

My only "complaint" was that the dish might have been just a little too salty. BUT, that is because I added too much extra salt, plain and simple. The recipe called for salt, but did not specify how much, so I used my own judgment, forgetting that the bacon and sausage would likely already impart a healthy dose of sodium on their own. If you make this one, I recommend holding off on adding salt (or, at least, be conservative) until you taste it the first time, and you'll be just fine!

Potential Improvements? Really, the only improvement that I would suggest (which echoes the suggestions of my guest eaters) is to use less added salt, as described above.

Polling the Fam: I really, really liked this dish and would definitely make it again! Brian thought it had a great savory flavor, saying he loved the bacon and the sausage. Wendy found it hearty and packed with flavor, but a little salty. Ashleigh said she enjoyed it and that all the flavors mixed well, but noted (again) that it was a little heavily salted. The only dissenter was Becky, who thought it was "alright" and mentioned that she wasn't overly fond of the sausage choice.

Verdict: Loved it! (5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment