Thursday, March 8, 2018

Sunday Soup #54.5: Ginger and Garlic Soup (aka, the Cold/Flu Fighter)

I put a half number on this one because I'm not sure it counts as a soup so much as a broth, and I made it kind of on the spur of the moment, on a Wednesday (I know, HERESY!).

I think I am coming down with something this week... An extra high-stress week has led to me feeling run down and needing a boost for the ol' immune system, so I went looking for some form of a broth (like one my mom used to make me) to ease congestion, soothe the throat, and give me the shot in the arm I need to fight off whatever this is. Enter this Ginger and Garlic Soup...

This recipe came from: http://thehealthy-lifestyle.com/this-ancient-ginger-and-garlic-soup-recipe-beats-the-flu-common-cold-excess-mucus-and-sinus-infections/


*Pic 1 - http://thehealthy-lifestyle.com/this-ancient-ginger-and-garlic-soup-recipe-beats-the-flu-common-cold-excess-mucus-and-sinus-infections/

Variations from Recipe as Written: I used stir fry ginger paste instead of raw ginger root, I chose a serrano chile, and I used mushrooms (which was optional).

General Thoughts: This was a piece of cake to make, which is important when you are under the weather. I got the pre-sliced mushrooms, used crushed garlic, and stir fry paste ginger, so the only thing I really had to do was dice the hot pepper and a little bit of stirring.



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

This is definitely not a filling or hearty soup, but it was exactly as advertised: spicy, gingery, hot and soothing! A single serrano pepper provided the perfect amount of spice for me (but, remember, I am a fire eater, so it might be a bit too much if your tastes run to the milder fare). Other than the chile, the concoction was not overly spiced and not overly salty (which these things sometimes are).

Potential Improvements? I would have preferred to use small, red Thai chiles (or bird's eye peppers), but the market was out. Other than that, I think this one was pretty spot-on.

Polling the Fam: I was the only person to eat this one... This soup wasn't flashy, but it was exactly what it claimed to be. The hot broth was well-flavored, felt good on my sore throat, and provided a nice warm feeling in my tummy for a while. I'd definitely make it again for those reasons alone. But, will it help ward off my cold or make me feel better faster? That remains to be seen... I made this on Wednesday, and I am writing this post on Thursday, but I actually feel worse today. I certainly don't blame the soup for feeling worse, but time will tell if it makes me feel better beyond just a temporary feeling of warm yumminess.

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment