Saturday, December 9, 2017

Sunday Soup #46: Easy Hash Brown Soup

Back in the saddle! Yeeeeee-haw!! Forgive the cowboy talk... But, I may have had a little too much kitchen juice (aka, wine) while cooking tonight. LOL It has been a few weeks since I posted the last soup, and I know some of you Souper Troopers out there were getting as little restless. This holiday season has been SO busy, but I was able to sneak one in this week. Enjoy!

This recipe came from: http://www.budgetsavvydiva.com/2012/03/easy-hash-brown-soup-recipe/


*Pic 1 - http://www.budgetsavvydiva.com/2012/03/easy-hash-brown-soup-recipe/

Variations from Recipe as Written: I double the recipe. That's it!

General Thoughts: For my first soup in three weeks or so, I was looking for a softball... Something easy to jump back in. I wanted something that seemed likely to be quick, tasty, and filling. Enter the "Easy Hash Brown Soup"... It certainly was easy! I got the pre-diced onions (because, I'm me), so there was no chopping, and after just a little time spent browning the onions, the rest was a cakewalk. If you are pressed for time, this is a soup for you!


*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

The texture was terrific, silky smooth and very hearty. It was perfect for a cold December night, watching "Elf" with the family!

As for the flavor... Here's the deal: without some accoutrement (such as some extra cheese and sour cream, as suggested by the recipe's author), it was a little bland. The black pepper and cayenne prescribed by the recipe were a little light, in my opinion, but it is sure to please those in your crowd that are spice lightweights. The red-colored liquid you can see in the pic above is a special carrot hot sauce that my Aunt Martha got me, and it kicked up the flavor superbly.

To go with the soup, I made some Pillsbury Biscuits, which were a terrific compliment. Their light, fluffy, flaky texture went perfectly with the heavier, chowder-y nature of the soup.

At its heart, this is a potato chowder, with which comes the pros (i.e., filling, inoffensive flavor) and cons (i.e., bland, without the proper garnishments) of any good potato soup. Bottom line: If you are looking for a quick, tasty, filling soup to please the family, and you've got some good garnishes at the ready, this would be a great choice for you!

Potential Improvements? Next time, I'd love to add some protein... some bacon, or some chicken, or maybe even some breakfast sausage. Other than that, it was pretty good. Next time, I might also add some pickled jalapeƱo peppers.

Polling the Fam: This soup definitely isn't going to knock anybody's socks off but, for me, it was extremely solid, and I would eat it again. Becky thought it was really good, although it needed Tabasco sauce, and she said that she'd request it again. Fox thought it was pretty good, agreed that it needed some additional spice, and said that, although he'd probably not request it, he'd certainly eat it again.

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment