Monday, September 12, 2016

Sunday Soup #16: Crockpot Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup

This recipe came from: http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/crockpot-green-chicken-chile-enchilada-soup-video/


*Pic 1 - Picture from http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/crockpot-green-chicken-chile-enchilada-soup-video/

My Variations from Recipe as Written: It called for chicken breasts or thighs; I used breasts. The recipe called for 8oz of green chiles, but (because of the sizes of cans) I ended up adding almost 14oz. It said the diced tomatoes were optional, but I used diced tomatoes with zesty jalapeños. And, I used smoked paprika instead of "normal" paprika (because it is what I had on hand).

General Thoughts: I have to admit, almost up until the end, I didn't think I would like this one... It looked and smelled like a million other generic "chicken tortilla"-type soups I've had, which I am none too crazy about (but some people seem to really like). Ho hum... But... Once I added the cream cheese and let it melt, this soup came alive! It became smooth and creamy, softening the harsh (often sour) nature of the tomato/veggie-based brothy Mexican soups... The softening effect was further increased with the addition of some shredded cheese and sour cream (full disclosure, I cheated and used greek yogurt instead) in my bowl.


*Pic 2 - Picture from when I made it

This soup had a lot of flavor, but it was not very spicy, so if that is normally a concern for you, no worries on that account with this one. Because I am a fire-breather, if left to my own devices, I would definitely kick it up a notch by substituting at least one of the cans of mild green with a can of the hot variety (like some hot jalapeños, or maybe even some fresh hot Hatches). Also, some crumbled tortilla chips sprinkled over the top, or even some pork rinds, would have provided some nice texture, but that is a minor quibble.

The soup had good color and really looked appetizing, which was nice because it smelled and tasted great! The prep was fairly simple, and I do love crockpot soups that can provide a yummy conclusion to a busy day with little effort.

Polling the Fam: I really liked it and would definitely make it again. It is no pozole (my favorite soup), but it provided solid Latin flavor in a filling (and surprisingly healthy) package. Becky said she really liked it as well, although did not comment on it much more than that.  Hunter said that he rather enjoyed it and would definitely look forward to eating it again.

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment