Saturday, June 27, 2020

Sunday Soup #108: Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Collard Greens and Sausage

Locally, we have a bakery and catering company called Kneaded (https://www.kneaded.com/), and it is rather special... From its "About" page:

Kneaded is more than your typical bakery and catering company. We're a training ground. Our bakery and catering company employs disadvantaged youth from Rebekah Children's Services Culinary Academy. Kneaded offers our apprentices real world experience, with real products, and learning real skills that they can take with them to their next job. We teach them how to create, package, and sell our products. Each of our products are made from scratch while using quality and local ingredients from a 300 mile radius or less and is prepared by our apprentices in our [inspected] commercial kitchen... With every purchase of our baked goods, you are helping us reach our mission of "bettering lives, one pastry or catering at a time."

As part of its services, Kneaded's kitchens prepare one gourmet meal each week for pickup, in individual- or family-sized portions, which is incredibly convenient during Quarantine (as I write this, the selection is Teriyaki Salmon with Coconut Rice and Ginger Broccoli). (*I highly encourage you to visit their site and get yourself an excellent meal while helping them with their important work!)


Recently, Kneaded offered an amazing Seafood Boil (which included lobster, prawns, corn, sausage, potatoes, and the usual goodies), and a friend asked me to make a soup to go with it. I felt that something "Southern" or "Cajun" might fit the bill, so when I stumbled across this recipe, the collard greens spoke to me and I thought it might work. Let's see how it was...

This recipe came from: https://theblondcook.com/black-eyed-pea-soup-with-collard-greens-and-sausage/


Variations from Recipe as Written: I made 1.5x the recipe (which was a lot). I sautéed the mirepoix in habanero infused olive oil to give it a little zip. I used 25% more sausage than it called for because smoked sausage is yummy! And, for the diced tomatoes, I used 1/3 diced toms with green chiles and 2/3 diced fire-roasted toms in hopes of getting some more complex flavors. Finally, to that same purpose, I also sprinkled 4 or 5 pinches of smoked paprika into the pot as it finished simmering.

General Thoughts: The prep was super easy, particularly since I used the pre-chopped mirepoix mix (carrot, celery, and onion) and bagged collard greens that were available at my local supermarket, so that saved me a bunch of time. Using the mirepoix was a stroke of genius and worked perfectly; however, there were pieces of the pre-chopped (bagged) collard greens that still had a little of the tough spine/stem attached. If I make this one again, I'll try to get the full collard greens leaves and trim the spine off myself to ensure I don't get any of the tough, fibrous stems. Since the veggies were ready to rock, all I had to do was open a couple of cans and slice the sausage, and I was golden!



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

If you like a ton of veg, this soup is for you! As you can see from the pics, it was super chunky, with a very nice variety of textures owing to the numerous different vegetables and the sausage. The black-eyed peas were a real star, providing a texture that was simultaneously firm and soft (if you've ever eaten perfectly cooked black-eyed peas, you know what I mean). The only bummer (as I mentioned above) was the toughness of the odd remaining collard green stems, which never did get soft or lose their fibrous texture, even though the leaves wilted quite nicely.

As I had hoped, the flavor was deep and complex. The broth was smokey and rich (despite not having any cream in it), both a little sweet and delightfully savory (no doubt owing to the salt from the sausage and canned black-eyed peas and tomatoes). The collard greens added the perfect touch of bitterness, as a counterpoint, and (surprisingly) the earthiness of the thyme was not overpowered.

Potential Improvements? As I already mentioned, I would trim the collard greens by hand, which will be a bit more work but would make it (texturally) more pleasant to eat. I might also use a bit of Cajun seasoning (like Tony Chachere's) and a few dashes of crushed red pepper to liven it up a bit if I think my guests can handle it.

Polling the Fam: I did not record the various reactions to this one, but it was a hit overall. But, here's the deal... The folks that like vegetables thought it was terrific, while those that don't care for vegetables found the soup tolerable but probably not something they would seek out. For me, personally, I really enjoyed it and would be very likely to make it again for the right occasion or crowd.

Verdict: Liked it. (4 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment