Monday, May 1, 2017

Sunday Soup #31: Yellow Curry Chicken Soup (Paleo)

My friend Whitney asked me to make this soup, and I agreed to give it a whirl this weekend, since it looked yummy and was described as "Paleo" (which matches my diet at the moment).

This week's recipe comes from Chef Toddy Fineberg, a local chef who Whitney just turned me on to (described as "Chef. Culinary Instructor. Consultant. Caterer. Lover of food." and many more cool things).  She does not appear to have a website, but she is active on social media (Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cheftoddyfineberg/, and @cheftoddyfineberg).  I don't normally like to link directly to FB posts because they are a little mercurial, but I will this week in order to bring you my take on this great recipe.

This recipe came from: https://www.facebook.com/cheftoddyfineberg/posts/1128741740570719


*Pic 1 - Chef Fineberg's picture from https://www.facebook.com/cheftoddyfineberg/posts/1128741740570719

My Variations from Recipe as Written: Just a couple... I used extra virgin olive oil rather than the algae oil suggested by Chef Fineberg. And, I used O Organics chicken broth rather than making my own bone broth.

General Thoughts: Wow... So much to talk about with this one!

I have to admit, not being a chef myself (remember, I'm just "a guy who loves soup"), I spent half the recipe thinking, "How can this be a curry soup without any curry powder?!"  But, that is why Chef Fineberg is (clearly) awesome and I am not, because she put together a super simple recipe that provided a great curry taste through its other ingredients (like turmeric, salt, and coconut milk), without having to resort to using curry powder.  Which brings me to my next point...

If you haven't made anything with turmeric before, consider this your warning... It stains! It is very tasty, and has great health benefits (such as being an anti-inflammatory), but if you use any kind of porous cooking tools/implements (such as, let's say, a plastic/rubber white Pampered Chef spatula), chances are that it will wind up yellow.

As I mentioned above, Chef Fineberg billed this soup as "Paleo" and said that it passed (among other things) the "paleo wife test." The concept of "eating paleo" can sometimes be a little elusive, particularly for those just starting out, because it seems like there are so many different opinions about exactly what that means (e.g., which foods are paleo and which aren't, etc.).  For example, in the majority of books and resources that I follow to guide my paleo diet, white potatoes are not considered strictly paleo; they are considered to be a "clean" starch, which can be eaten in moderation (particularly on days of high activity - like gym days). I have, however, seen other resources that include white potatoes on the list of "paleo-legal foods" that are permitted as a matter of course. I am not mentioning this to dicker with anyone about whether or not white potatoes should be included on a paleo diet (if you comment in that vein, you'll be wasting your time because I won't respond), but rather just to point out that if you are eating strictly paleo, you'll need to decide whether the potatoes in this recipe are right for you. Moving on...

It didn't take long for this soup to start smelling terrific, and once I added the turmeric, garlic, and ginger to the onions, I knew this was going to be great!



*Pics 2 & 3 - Pictures from when I made it

The soup was definitely filling, pleasantly thick and hearty. All of the vegetables were cooked to perfection, the chicken seemed the perfect amount, and whether I took a bite full of chick/veg or simply slurped at the broth, every bite packed wonderful flavor. For those that don't love super spicy, have no fear... As written, this recipe is very flavorful but not really spicy.  I spiked each of my bowls with lime (as Chef Fineberg suggested) and some Sriracha (because I love spicy), which made it good to the last drop!

Polling the Fam: As if you couldn't tell, I really enjoyed this soup. I think it is my favorite curry soup I have ever made at home, and it was so easy, I would not hesitate to make this again.  Hunter really liked it as well, saying it was his new favorite curry soup, and adding that he felt the mushrooms were essential to his enjoyment of the recipe.  My mom, Debbie, who is a healthy soup aficionado and curry buff, likewise tried it and found it quite yummy.

Verdict: Loved it! (5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment