Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Sunday Soup #21: Beef & Bean Soup

This recipe came from: http://shewearsmanyhats.com/beef-bean-soup-recipe/


*Pic 1 - http://shewearsmanyhats.com/beef-bean-soup-recipe/

My Variations from Recipe as Written: I doubled the recipe. I used a mesquite smoked salt instead of plain. And, I used shredded carrots instead of sliced or chopped.

General Thoughts: This soup looked very promising... Beef, beans, broth... What could go wrong? Well, it didn't exactly go "wrong," but it didn't live up to my expectations. Admittedly, as you already know if you are a regular follower of my blog, I am far from a professional cook (I am just a dude who likes soup!), so my disappointment may be linked to something I did (or didn't do) when I prepared the recipe.


*Pic 2 - Picture from when I made it

But, despite not really delivering overall, this soup did get a couple things right... The soup was hot and filling, if a bit plain, and would hit the spot on a cold night. Also, it was fairly simple to make, as the prep was easy and most of the time spent was in waiting for it to boil and simmer (rather than actively preparing).

Don't get me wrong, it was definitely edible - in fact, my son and I both ate it leftover multiple times.  However, it was definitely missing something... Its flavor profile was not the best; it was bland and a little off in turns, and it never made any of us say, "mmmm."

Polling the Fam: For me, this soup just lacked personality... It needed something to make it pop, to make me want to go back for seconds and hope I have extra leftovers for the next day, but it just didn't. Becky said it smelled funny (probably the sage or thyme) and called it "Dog Butt Soup" (real soup talk!). Hunter ate it but was also not really impressed, saying it was "okay." Andrew ate it too, but was not as happy with it as he was with some of the other soups he's tried in this project.

Verdict: Not a fan. (2 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment